<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004

#7 Metal Guitarist of All Time Shot Dead On Stage in Ohio `

Five Dead, Several More Wounded
It happened at the Alrosa Villa.

Some fucking hostile dude wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets home jersey slaughtered (former Pantera) Damageplan band members and regular people in what can only be described as vulgar display of power. Taking his will-to-domination and clash with reality to a new level, this psycho holiday could only end beyond cemetary gates: the dude knew he was going to die and didn't care. He had 5 minutes alone before a Columbus cop arrived and shot him dead. I hope he at least left a suicide note (in 2 parts) or a message in blood. [/song title purée]

The motive is unclear: it doesn't seem drug related, but when the main target is a guy named "Dimebag", you can't really be sure. I can only imagine how the adrenalized guy in Alrosa radio ads would sound reporting this (like a deep throated version of monster truck's "Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!" style). Murderous Mahem and Metal Mania at the AL ROSA VILLA.

I won a Pantera cd from OSU student radio in 1995 . It was the first time I was in there. The CD was totally scratched up and the case was broken. In high school I got a mixtape from Neil with "Cemetary Gates" on it (following "If Only" iirc). My cousin and a mutual friend were just at the Alrosa this month for a Napalm Death show. I wonder if he was there for this too. Damn!

Sources local (Dispatch) and national (Reuters) abound. I guess most people thought it was part of the act at first, since it was in the first song of their set. The "#7 Metal Guitarist of All Time" distinction was bestowed by Guitar World magazine in a Top100 list. I guess it's like I always said: Ohio killed Hank Williams, and it'll do the same for you.

I challenge you, 84Nash, to write the definitive commemorative anthem. Sure, Guided by Voices could do it, and they've played Alrosa almost quaterly, but somehow I don't think of Bob Pollard, confronting mortality and coherence in the same breath.

And that leaves you, Tim Easton, to write the ballad. I'm sorry, but Gordon Lightfoot is just too busy.
# posted by atz at 12/09/2004 09:42:00 AM
Comments:
Mark Mothersbaugh? Hello, the perfect choice. Plus, he went to my high school.

-Not the sort of person YOU should be friends with
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?